When the temperature soars, nothing is quite as satisfying as a cool, creamy sweet treat. Fortunately, giant sprinkle-studded waffle cones aren't the only way to get your fix. It's still possible to stick to a healthy diet while imbibing this summer. Fruit is a delicious and nutritious way to satisfy your sweet tooth without loading up on empty calories and refined sugar. Below are 5 simple recipes to make the most out of fresh fruit this summer:
- Melon Mint Popsicles: Purée the flesh of one ripe cantaloupe with a handful of mint leaves and 1/2 can coconut milk until smooth. Pour into popsicle molds and freeze until set.
- Grilled Peaches with Coconut Cream: Refrigerate a can of coconut milk for at least 8 hours. Scoop the separated cream out of the chilled can of coconut milk and use a hand mixer to whip with 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Slice a ripe peach in half and place cut side down on the grill for 3-5 minutes. Top peach with whipped coconut cream.
- Strawberry Lime Sorbet: In a food processor, combine a pint of frozen strawberries with 3 tablespoons of maple syrup and a splash of lime juice. Process until smooth. Enjoy immediately!
- Coconut Ambrosia Salad: Combine chopped toasted almonds, unsweetened flaked coconut, chopped strawberries, kiwis, bananas and orange segments in a large bowl. Toss with 1 tablespoon of honey and the cream from a chilled can of coconut milk (refrigerate can for 8 hours and separate cream out from milk).
- Banana Hazelnut Chocolate Ice Cream: Peel and slice 4 bananas into 1/2 inch pieces. Freeze for at least one hour. Pulse bananas in food processor until smooth then add 2 tablespoons hazelnut butter and 2 teaspoons raw cocao powder. Process until the consistency of soft serve ice cream.